A warm welcome to Yelena who will be joining us as Guest Blogger for the next two weeks. Yelena is a Russian born artist living and working in Nottingham, based at Oldknows Studios. This year she became a finalist of The New Contemporaries 2011 and was awarded The Red Mansion Prize and is soon to be graduating from Royal College London with an MA in Fine Art. We asked Yelena 10 questions to get to know her a little bit better.
1. Who are you?
Yelena Popova, Nottingham based artist, current RCA graduate.
2. What brought you to Nottingham?
My husband got a job at NTU 3 years ago.
3. What keeps you in Nottingham?
We both love living in the city.
4. What makes you different to other creative people in Nottingham?
I speak with a slight Russian accent and ride a pink sporty raleigh bike.
5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
I’ll be part of a very strong Nottingham Based group of artists – the core of Midlands art scene.
6. What do you wish you had more time for?
Family, friends, movies.
7. What keeps you awake at night?
Oh no, I sleep like a log. Though sometimes.. may be… overexcitement?
8. What do you think is Nottingham’s best kept secret?
Oldknows studios – the spaces have the best view in town.
9. What would you like to see more of in Nottingham?
Commercial art galleries – just one good one will do.
10. What Big thing are you currently working on?
MA Final show at RCA and developing ideas for the summer.
You can read more about Yelena at www.yelenapopova.co.uk